Tips and Advice
HOW TO CHOOSE A ROOFER
When it comes to roofing, avoid cutting corners! You can extend the lifespan of your roof up to 25 years by hiring a qualified roofer for your repairs. To ensure high-quality installation, be sure to select a contractor who meets the following requirements:
- Member of the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ)
- Holder of a liability insurance
- Provides correct references (compliance to set deadlines and price)
In addition to issuing a detailed quote, be sure to agree on a fixed price. Do not hesitate to ask him questions to have a clear understanding of the situation. For example:
- Do the flashings need to be replaced?
- How is the attic ventilation?
- Does the wooden floor need to be changed?
- What type of coating will be installed?
- What is the coating installation technique?
SHOULD YOU REMOVE SNOW FROM YOUR ROOF?
Roof clearing becomes a priority when snow depth reaches 61 cm (24”). This will prevent leakage or sagging. Generally, metal sheet or steep-pitch roofs are less prone to snow accumulation.
Although it may seem that flat roofs are more at risk during exceptional snowfalls, they are actually specifically designed to collect snow. Most are equipped with a membrane, parapet and drain to facilitate run-off.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS WHEN REMOVING SNOW FROM YOUR ROOF
It is essential to take safety precautions when carrying out roof snow removal. This type of activity can lead to falls, discomfort due to physical exertion and even burial in snow. To avoid getting hurt and any damage to your building, we recommend:
- Regular checking of the snow depth on your roof
- Avoiding snow accumulation
- Defining a snow dumping area
- Preventing access to the dumping area
- Installing railings at roof edges
- Establishing a railing-protected zone which will not be snow-cleared (buffer zone)
Remember that a snow depth of 15 cm on your roof does not pose any safety risk.
Not sure if your roof needs to be cleared of snow? Call Couvreur GP for an inspection. We will assess whether your roof is at risk.